Guppyfriend Washing Bag
The GUPPYFRIEND™ Washing Bag protects synthetic garments & reduces the amount of microfibers that may enter rivers & oceans from washing. After washing garments in GUPPYFRIEND, remove the microfibers from the bag & throw them away in the trash.
SO, WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?
Polyester is now the world’s most commonly used fabric. This cheap, synthetic fiber is petroleum-based & when we wash all of these polyester clothes, plastic fibers break off & cannot be filtered out efficiently so they end up in our wastewater.
This has become one of the biggest environmental problems of our time. A single garment can release 1,900 individual plastic microfibers! Sadly this also includes clothing made "sustainably" out of recycled water bottles (rPET).
These microplastic particles enter the sea, accumulate toxins and are ingested by fish & other marine life. So the plastic from our clothes ends up on our plates & harms not only nature, but our own health.
SO, WHAT CAN WE DO?
Well, the best solution right now is to use this Guppyfriend Washing Bag. It is the first pragmatic solution that has been scientifically proven to effectively reduce microplastic pollution.
- It reduces fiber shedding & extends the lifespan of our clothes.
- It filters the microfibers that do break & doesn’t lose any fibers itself.
- It’s a daily reminder to change our buying habits & washing rituals.
HOW IT WORKS:
- Put synthetic textiles into the Guppyfriend Washing Bag.
- Close the washing bag & put it in the washing machine. Add other, non-synthetic, textiles & wash as usual.
- Take the textiles from the Guppyfriend Washing Bag while they’re still wet.
- Remove the collected fibers from the inside of the filter fabric by hand & dispose of them in the your regular trash.
Dimensions: 29" x 20" (74 x 50 cm)
The journey towards becoming a more conscious consumer is learning to consider not only how we consume and buy, but also how we care for and extend the life of our purchases.
Educating ourselves on how to care for our garments, and make them last, is key to significantly reducing textile waste and minimizing our environmental impact. We share some of our best laundry & garment care tips on our blog, 11 Ways to Care for Your Clothes & Make Them Last.